Betws RFC | 1st Team 37 - 10 Penybanc RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
16 May 2016 / Team News

Betws grab bragging rights with win against local rivals Penybanc.

Betws entertained Penybanc at Maes y Felin with the winners guaranteed to go above the loosers in Div 3 West B. The game started with a bang and Penybanc took an early lead with a penalty slotted over by the permitted Llandeilo outside half. Betws got on even terms when No 10 Daniel Griffiths struck back with a close range penalty. The game remained even for the next five minutes until the young adventurous Betws side decided to stretch their older and heavier opponents. From a scrum 5 metres from their own line, lively scrum halfStefan James darted past the Penybanc back-row before throwing a long pass to full back Steffan Howells. He in turn beat the outside man and fed speedster Ashley Evans who rounded the cover defence with ease and ran in from 70 metres to touch down under the posts in front of the faithful Betws supporters. The confidence of this young Betws team grew and within minutes, live-wire flanker Nathan Chapman again scored between the posts with No 10 Daniel Griffiths converting both. A slight disagreement then saw a player from each side being yellow carded. This seemed to spur Penybanc to greater efforts and their pressure was rewarded when veteran No 8 Chris Jones scored a try. With both teams back to their full complement, Betws again raised their game and despite missing out on two good chances to score, were rewarded when Chapman again burst through to score. Griffiths missed the conversion but landed a penalty late in the half to give the home team a 25-10 lead at the break. The second half started with Betws in the opponents half for the first 15 minutes without scoring, but the pressure soon told when flanker Chapman completed his hat-trick of tries against his old club following some good approach work by the whole Betws team. Griffiths converted from the touchline. Penybanc were now feeling the pace of the game but continued to fight their way back into the game. A further yellow card for each team saw more space available. The Betws wing Shaun Jones made use of this space but somehow failed to score when he opted to take contact with 4 Betws players inside him waiting to pounce. From the resulting scrums, Betws completely dominated and as the referee appeared to be ready to give a penalty try, Betws flanker Sion James took a tap penalty and burrowed his way over the line. The conversion was missed and the referee blew for time. The final score was 37-10 to the young home team with their young captain Daniel Evans delighted with the effort shown by the home team who have now scored 4 or more tries in each of their last 6 games. The win saw Betws moving into 5th place in the league with the final game agains Furnace to be played next Saturday.

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos